Bicycling in Melbourne
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Melbourne and its environs contain more than 100 km (62 mi) of bike paths, including scenic routes along the Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay. The Beach Road Trail extends 19 km (12 mi) around Port Phillip Bay from Elwood Beach to Sandringham; the new Docklands area of Melbourne can be cycled around—start on the Southbank Promenade, travel west, and then cross over the new Webb Street to Docklands Park and Harbour Esplanade; you can join the Main Yarra Trail bicycle route at the mouth of the Yarra River, just north of the West Gate Bridge or at Southbank. You can then follow the Yarra River for 35 km (22 mi) until it meets up with the Mullum Mullum Creek Trail in Templestowe in Melbourne's eastern suburbs. Bicycle Victoria has all the details on biking trails.
Bicycle Victoria. Bicycle Victoria can provide information about area bike paths. Its excellent Web site has trail maps and descriptions as well as directions. Level 10, 446 Collins St., City Center, Melbourne, VIC, 3000. 03/8636-8888. www.bv.com.au.
Bikes can be rented for about A$25 per day from trailers alongside the bike paths.
Real Melbourne Bike Tours. Real Melbourne Bike Tours runs daily bike tours that promise to show the very best of Melbourne. The four-hour rides (which depart at 10 am) include coffee and cakes in Little Italy and lunch. The company also rents bicycles from A$15 an hour (A$35 per day), and provides a map of five top rides, with suggestions of where to eat and drink. It's on the edge of the Yarra River just near Princes Bridge and Federation Square. Vault 14, Federation Square, City Centre, VIC, 3000. 0417/339203. www.rentabike.net.au. A$110 per person.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1428* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,428 Air New Zealand