Marked trails through the Leeuwin-Naturaliste National Park provide many opportunities for hiking through the natural bushland and on coastal walks, with vistas along untouched rugged cliffs, rocky outcrops, and sandy bays. The Cape-to-Cape Walk Track runs 138 km (86 mi) from Cape Naturaliste to Cape Leeuwin, but can be broken into shorter sections. You will find the start points generally at beachside carparks. Canal Rocks to Wyadup is a two-hour return walk from the car park on Canal Rocks Road; a one-hour walk via beach, rocks, and bushland begins at the Leeuwin Waterwheel, near Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse in Augusta; and, a four-hour walk with expansive coastal views starts at the Hamelin Bay boat ramp and heads to Cosy Corner.
Away from the coast, a popular short walk is from the historic homestead of Ellensbrook (Ellensbrook Road, off Caves Road, 13 km [8 mi] from Margaret River). The walk takes about 40 minutes to the Meekadarabee Falls, known to Aboriginal people as the "bathing place of the moon," and is best in winter and spring.
Brochures and maps on all walk trails in the region are available from the Margaret River Visitor Centre.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations