Busselton Jetty and Underwater Observatory. At almost two km, the 146-year-old Busselton Jetty is the longest timber jetty in the southern hemisphere. You can visit the Interpretive Center and Heritage Museum at the start of the jetty, then either catch the train or walk the 1.8 km to the Underwater Observatory, one of only seven in the world, where tours for up to 40 people are run every hour. The cylinder observatory structure allows visitors to walk down a spiral staircase to some 8.5 meters below the water, observing the marine life through 11 large acrylic windows at different levels. The warm Leeuwin Current and the sheltering effect of the jetty above has created a unique microclimate rich with colorful tropical and sub-tropical corals, sponges, fish, and invertebrates. Booking is essential Beachfront, Busselton, Dunsborough, WA, 6280. 08/9754-0900. www.busseltonjetty.com.au. 40 minute Underwater Observatory Tour, return train ride & jetty day pass A$28.00; jetty only A$2.50; One way train A$10, Interpretive Centre & Heritage Museum, free. Interpretive Center & Heritage Museum, May-Aug., daily 9-5; Sep.-Apr., daily 8.30-6. Underwater Observatory & Jetty Train Tour, May-Aug., on the hour 10-3; Sep.-Apr., on the hour 9-4.
Cape Dive. Cape Dive has dive tours to the wreck of the HMAS Swan, deliberately scuttled in 30 meters of water off Dunsborough to become an artificial reef and dive wreck. They also offer dives around the Busselton Jetty, where an abundance of corals and marine life have made their homes on the pylons. 222 Naturaliste Terrace, Dunsborough, Dunsborough, WA, 6281. 08/9756-8778. www.capediveexperience.com. Daily 9-5.
Cellar d'Or Winery Tours. Cellar d'Or Winery Tours has daily tours of Margaret River region wineries from A$82 per person. The tours include pick-up at your accommodation, wine tastings at five wineries, platter lunch, beer tasting, chocolate sampling, cheese and local produce tasting, and morning and afternoon coffee and tea. 0428/179729. www.cellardortours.com.au.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations