Purnululu (Bungle Bungle) National Park
Purnululu (Bungle Bungle) National Park Review
Purnululu (Bungle Bungle) National Park covers nearly 3,120 square km (1,200 square mi) in the southeast corner of the Kimberley. Australians of European descent first "discovered" its great beehive-shaped domes—their English name is the Bungle Bungle—in 1983, proving how much of this vast continent remains outside of "white" experience. The local Kidja Aboriginal tribe, who knew about these scenic wonders long ago, called the area Purnululu, meaning sandstone.
The striking, black-and-orange-stripe mounds seem to bubble up from the landscape. Climbing on them is not permitted, because the sandstone layer beneath their thin crust of lichen and silica is fragile, and would quickly erode without protection. Walking tracks follow rocky, dry creek beds. One popular walk leads hikers along the Piccaninny Creek to Piccaninny Gorge, passing through gorges with towering 328-foot cliffs to which slender fan palms cling.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations
· News & Features
After months of grounding due to safety and reliability concerns, the buzzed-about Boeing 787 Dreamline ... Read more
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more