- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Batavia Coast Review
A drive along this part of the coast, which starts at Greenhead, 285 km (178 mi) north of Perth, and runs up to Kalbarri, takes you past white sands and emerald seas, and some lovely small towns. Among them are the fig-shaded, seaside village of Dongara and the more northerly Central Greenough Historical Settlement, whose restored colonial buildings—including a jail with original leg irons—date from 1858. A few miles north is Geraldton, whose skyline is dominated by the beautiful Byzantine St. Francis Xavier Cathedral. Also of note is the HMAS Sydney II Memorial, recognized as the only national War Mermorial outside of Canberra. The huge Batavia Coast Marina has a pedestrian plaza, shopping arcades, and the Western Australian Museum houses a collection of artifacts from the Batavia which was shipwrecked in 1629.
- Location: Perth
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
I've just reserved a limo for four of us in January from the airport to the Four Seasons. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more