- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Batavia Coast Review
A drive along this part of the coast, which starts at Greenhead, 285 km (178 mi) north of Perth, and runs up to Kalbarri, takes you past white sands and emerald seas, and some lovely small towns. Among them are the fig-shaded, seaside village of Dongara and the more northerly Central Greenough Historical Settlement, whose restored colonial buildings—including a jail with original leg irons—date from 1858. A few miles north is Geraldton, whose skyline is dominated by the beautiful Byzantine St. Francis Xavier Cathedral. Also of note is the HMAS Sydney II Memorial, recognized as the only national War Mermorial outside of Canberra. The huge Batavia Coast Marina has a pedestrian plaza, shopping arcades, and the Western Australian Museum houses a collection of artifacts from the Batavia which was shipwrecked in 1629.
- Location: Perth
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1428* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,428 Air New Zealand
My other half and I recently spent a lovely four day weekend in Margaret River, thanks to the rare occurrence of a rotating Friday off and a Monday public holiday.
For those wanting the wordless version, Read more
This was our fifth trip to Australia to teach songwriting workshops. Read more
My wife and I are at the preliminary planning stages of a trip to New Zealand. Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side,... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more