- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Western Australian Museum and Old Perth Gaol
Western Australian Museum and Old Perth Gaol Review
The state's largest and most comprehensive museum includes some of Perth's oldest structures, such as the Old Perth Gaol. Built of stone in 1856, this was Perth's first and only prison until 1888. After being decommissioned as a gaol it became Perth's first Museum. Get a feeling for Perth's criminal past and have a coffee at the café in the courtyard close to where executions once took place. Today it is part of a much larger museum where exhibitions include "Diamonds to Dinosaurs," which uses fossils, rocks, and gemstones to take you back 3.5 billion years. "Katta Djinoong: First Peoples of Western Australia" has a fascinating collection of primitive tools and lifestyle artifacts used thousands of years ago by Australia's Aboriginals.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
I've just reserved a limo for four of us in January from the airport to the Four Seasons. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more