During the Dry, park rangers conduct free walks and tours at several popular locations. You can pick up a program at the entry station or at either of the visitor centers.
Intrepid Connections. Intrepid Connections provides camping and accommodation tours in Kakadu of two to five days, departing from Darwin. Level 3, Harrington St., The Rocks, Sydney, NT, 2000. 02/8252–5300. www.connections.travel.
Far Out Adventures. Far Out Adventures runs customized tours of Kakadu, as well as other regions of the Top End, for small groups. 04/2715–2288. www.farout.com.au.
The Gagudju Lodge Cooinda. The Gagudju Lodge Cooinda arranges magical boat tours of Yellow Water, the major water hole in Kakadu, where innumerable birds and crocodiles gather. There are six tours throughout the day; the first (6:45 am) is the coolest— both in terms of temperature and activity. Tours, which run most of the year, cost A$66 for 90 minutes and A$97 for two hours, and include breakfast. 08/8979–0145. www.gagudju-dreaming.com.
Kakadu Air. Kakadu Air makes scenic hour (A$225) and half-hour (A$130) flights out of Jabiru. In the Dry the flight encompasses the northern region, including Arnhem Land escarpment, Nourlangie and Mamakala Wetlands, East Alligator River, and Jabiru Township. During the Wet only, a similarly priced half-hour or one-hour flight takes in the Jim Jim and Twin falls. Heli tours are also available. 1800/089–113 or 08/8941–9611. www.kakaduair.com.au.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe