The best time to visit is between May and September during the Dry. The shortest time you should allow is a three-day, two-night itinerary from Darwin. This will provide opportunities to visit the major sights—a cruise on the East Alligator River; Ubirr, a major Aboriginal rock-art site; a flight-seeing flight from Jabiru airport; Nourlangie Rock, another Aboriginal rock-art site; the Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre, to learn about traditional Aboriginal people; and a sunset cruise on Yellow Water Billabong to see birds, crocodiles, and other wildlife. On the return to Darwin, you can visit Mamukala Wetlands for an abundance of birds and wildlife. A five-day itinerary will give you time to visit Jim Jim Falls and Twin Falls, a four-wheel-drive excursion.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's