Alligator Airways. Alligator Airways operates fixed-wing floatplanes from Lake Kununurra and land-based flights from Kununurra Airport. A two-hour scenic flight over the Bungle Bungles and other sights costs A$275. 08/9168-1333. www.alligatorairways.com.au.
APT Kimberley Wilderness Adventures. APT Kimberley Wilderness Adventures conducts tours from Broome and Kununurra, which include excursions along Gibb River Road and into Purnululu National Park. A two-day tour from Kununurra includes the Mitchell Plateau and Mitchell Falls, with an overnight in a wilderness camp. 08/9191-8200 or 1800/889-389. www.kimberleywilderness.com.au.
East Kimberley Tours. East Kimberley Tours' most popular day tour includes an eye-popping flight to Purnululu National Park, a four-wheel-drive tour to the famous "beehive domes" and Cathederal Gorge, lunch, and a return scenic flight over Argyle Diamond mine. The tour costs A$660. Overnight fly-in, fly-out tours to the park cost from A$1,480. 08/9168-2213. www.eastkimberleytours.com.au.
Lake Argyle Cruises. Lake Argyle Cruises operates excellent trips on Australia's largest expanse of freshwater, the man-made Lake Argyle. Tours, which start with a bus trip, run daily March to October. It's A$70 for the two-hour morning cruise, A$155 for the six-hour cruise, and A$85 for the sunset cruise (which starts around 2:45). Box 710, Kununurra, WA, 6743. 08/9168-7687. www.lakeargylecruises.com.
Slingair Heliwork WA. Slingair conducts both fixed-wing and helicopter flights from Kununurra and Purnululu National Park. A 30-minute helicopter flight costs A$325 from their helipad in the Purnululu National Park. An alternative 2 hour fixed-wing flight over the Bungle Bungle and Lake Argyle is A$295. There are loads of options for coasting over the region with a bird's eye view, but a standout is the Kimberley Coastal five-hour scenic flight, covering the magnificent King George Falls, Berkeley River, an indigenous community and other local sites and including a ground tour of Aboriginal-owned Home Valley Station and some locations from the film Australia. The cost is A$629 and includes lunch and swimming. 08/9169-1300. www.slingair.com.au.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations