The West Coast Travel Guide
Plan Your The West Coast Vacation
The wildest and least explored countryside in Australia lies on Tasmania's west coast. Due to the region's remoteness from the major centers of Hobart and Launceston, as well as its rugged terrain, the intrepid pioneers who developed this part of the island endured incredible hardships and extremely difficult living conditions. Though the area is now internationally recognized as one of the world's richest mineral provinces, with vast deposits of tin, gold, silver, copper, lead, and zinc, even today the viability of towns depends on the fluctuations in the price of the metals. The region still seems like part of the frontier.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best The West Coast restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The West Coast
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's