Launceston Travel Guide
Nestled in a fertile agricultural basin where the South Esk and North Esk rivers join to form the Tamar, the city of Launceston (pronounced Lon-sess-tun), or Lonie to locals, is the commercial center of Tasmania's northern region. Its abundance of unusual markets and shops is concentrated downtown (unlike Hobart, which has most of its stores in the historic center, set apart from the commercial district).
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Launceston restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Launceston
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a ... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe