Seppeltsfield Winery Review
Joseph Seppelt was a Silesian farmer who purchased land in the Barossa after arriving in Australia in 1849. Under the control of his son, Benno, the wine-making business flourished, and today Seppelt Winery and its splendid grounds are a tribute to the family's industry and enthusiasm. Fortified wine is a Seppelt specialty; this is the only winery in the world that has ports for every year as far back as 1878. Most notable is the 100-year-old Para Liqueur Tawny. The grenache, chardonnay, cabernet, and sparkling shiraz are also worth tasting. Tours of the 19th-century distillery are run daily; you can also book 24 hours ahead for the Centenary Tour where you get to taste four of the six paramount wines as well a 100 year-old wine and one that was 100 years old in your birth year. There's a small snack bar that offers delicious cakes and afternoon teas.
- Address: Seppeltsfield Rd., 3 km (2 miles) west of Marananga Seppeltsfield, SA 5355 | Map It
- Phone: 08/8568–6217
- Cost: Free; Heritage Tour A$15, Taste Your Birth Year Tour A$50, Centenary Tour A$95
- Hours: Daily 10–5. Heritage Tours daily 11:30 and 3:30; Taste Your Birth Year Tour daily (by appointment) 1:30, Centenary Tour daily (by appointment) 2:30
- Website: www.seppeltsfield.com.au
- Location: Marananga
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
Day 5 - Bye-bye Hong Kong, hello OZ!
After checking in at the airport, we had about an hour or so to spare so after negotiating passports and security without too many problems, [DH is always one of those Read more
Some photos from this year's weirdly wonderful Sculptures by the Sea at Cottesloe Beach, Western Australia.
The exhibit runs through March Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots ... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more