Fishing is excellent on Kangaroo Island's beaches, bays, and rivers. The island's deep-sea fishing fleet holds several world records for tuna. No permit is required for recreational fishing, but minimum lengths and bag limits apply. You can pick up a fishing guide from the information center in Penneshaw.
Cooinda Fishing Charters. Cooinda runs fishing, diving, and combined fishing and diving charters from half a day to three days out of American River. American River Wharf, Muston, SA, 5221. 0439/867–713 or 08/8553–1072. www.cooindafishingcharters.com.
Hog Bay Corner Store & Cafe. You can rent fishing equipment from Hog Bay Corner Store & Cafe. 3rd St. at North Terr., Penneshaw, SA, 5222. 08/8553–1151.
The Kings Small Boat Fishing Charters. Fishing tours (maximum six passengers) and personalized charters are offered from half a day in American River waters. Bayview Rd., American River, SA, 5223. 08/8553–7003. A$300 per boat (up to 3 people), A$100 per person 4-6 people.
Turner Fuel. This spot sells fishing tackle and bait. 26 Telegraph Rd., Kingscote, SA, 5223. 08/8553–2725.
Kangaroo Island Fishing Adventures. This tour operatior has fast, clean boats and a live-aboard mother ship; the company takes groups in a 30-foot cruiser out in the Western River region (the island's north coast). Western River Rd., Middle River, SA, 5223. 08/8559–3232. www.kangarooislandadventures.com.au.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's