Star of Greece
Star of Greece Review
More for the linen-slacks-and-deck-shoes set than the board-shorts-and-sunscreen crowd, this extended weatherboard kiosk on the cliffs at Port Willunga, 10 km (6 mi) southwest of McLaren Vale, is beach-ball bright and extremely popular. Wooden chairs painted in mandarin, lime, and sky-blue stripes sit at paper-draped tables, and windows frame the aqua sea. (The offshore buoy marks where the three-masted Star of Greece foundered in 1888.) Reading the menu nets mostly seafood. You could order seared scallops wrapped in octopus bacon, or crispy skinned ocean trout on prawn salsa, but every white-plated dish the hip staff carries past may make you question your choice.
- Address: The Esplanade 1, Port Willunga, SA 5173 | Map It
- Phone: 08/8557–7420
- Hours: No dinner Sun–Thurs, no lunch Mon and Tues; kiosk open 7 days weather permitting
- Website: www.starofgreececafe.com.au
- Location: McLaren Vale
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
DH and I will be heading to Australia in 6 short days. Read more
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
I am slightly confused about baggage transfer between these airlines. Read more
· News & Features
The Caesars Entertainment and Starwood hotel groups have teamed up to offer reciprocal benefits across... Read more
In September, new boutique hotel 1888 landed in Sydney, with an unusual claim to fame: It's the world's... Read more
Come January, American Airlines will introduce brand-new premium Airbus A321 planes on its transcontinental... Read more