Cockle Train Review
The Cockle Train travels the route of South Australia's first railway line. Originally laid between Goolwa and Port Elliot, and extended to Victor Harbor in 1864, the line traces the lovely Southern Ocean beaches on its 16-km (10-mi), half-hour journey. The train runs by steam power, subject to availability and weather conditions, daily during summer school holidays (late December to late January), on Easter weekend, and on the third Sunday of each month from June to November. A diesel locomotive pulls the heritage passenger cars (or a diesel railcar operates) on other Sundays and public holidays, and days of Total Fire Ban.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $3679 & up -- Australia: Outback Adventure w/Tours & Air Qantas Vacations
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River — $9,995 IExplore
My other half and I recently spent a lovely four day weekend in Margaret River, thanks to the rare occurrence of a rotating Friday off and a Monday public holiday.
For those wanting the wordless version, Read more
This was our fifth trip to Australia to teach songwriting workshops. Read more
I'm starting to plan my trip and GBR is on the top of my list. Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more