- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Get Wet Surf School. The Gold Coast, renowned for long, sandy beaches and reliable breaks, is a terrific place to surf. Of the patrolled beaches, Main Beach, Surfer's Paradise, Broadbeach, Mermaid, Miami, and Nobby are the most popular; Kirra Beach, in the south, is arguably the area's best surf beach. Though the challenging break at Kirra is perhaps best left to the pros, most Gold Coast beaches are suitable for grommets (beginners). There are plenty of local surf schools happy to teach you, and board and wetsuit hire outlets flank popular beaches. Local surfers and lifeguards are good sources of information about surf conditions and hazards.
Get Wet Surf School holds daily group lessons (up to 6 students per coach) at a sheltered, crowd-free beach off the Spit, just north of Surfer's Paradise; and lessons before and after park hours three times a week in the controlled environment of WhiteWater World's large wave pool, heated in winter. They also host private lessons and multi-day surf tours. 1800/438–938; 07/5532–9907 international. www.getwetsurf.com. A$55 (beach); A$95 (private); A$75 (wave pool). Daily 10 am and 1 pm (beach); Mon., Wed., Fri. 8 am and 5 pm (wave pool).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe