- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Southport and Main Beach
South of Southport, look for the turnoff to the Spit, a natural peninsula that stretches 4 km (2½ mi) north, almost to the tip of South Stradbroke Island. Sea World Drive runs the full length of the Spit, from Mariner's Cove (a popular covered area with affordable restaurants and fast-food outlets) to a nature reserve. This narrow peninsula is bordered by the Pacific Ocean to the east and the calm waters of the Broadwater (a long lagoon) to the west. Two of the Gold Coast's best hotels face each other across Sea World Drive and are connected to Marina Mirage, arguably the most elegant shopping precinct on the Gold Coast. Farther up the road is Sea World itself.
Southport and Main Beach at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Gold Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's