- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary Review
A Gold Coast institution and perhaps the most ecologically-minded wildlife facility in the region, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is a 70-acre, not-for-profit National Trust Reserve. Established in 1947 as a lorikeet sanctuary, it now shelters many Australian species, including crocodiles, snakes, wombats, dingoes, Tasmanian devils, kangaroos, and endangered frogs. There are more than a dozen daily animal shows, informative talks, Aboriginal dance and didgeridoo sessions, 'roo feedings, and koala cuddling. Come at 8 am or 4 pm when the lorikeets are fed, or book a nifty Segway Safari guided tour of the park (A$10 for 40 min.) You can also take a treetops ropes course (A$20, weekends and holidays). The nightly guided Wildnight Adventure includes a "Wild Buffet" from 5:30, a tour of the sanctuary's nocturnal inhabitants from 7, and Aboriginal dancing by firelight afterwards (reservations essential). Tickets are much cheaper if bought online in advance, especially in low season. There's a gourmet produce market in the carpark on Saturday mornings. Return transfers to and from the Gold Coast can be booked with Surfside Bus Lines (www.surfsidebuslines.com).
- Address: 28 Tomewin St., off Gold Coast Hwy., 14 km (8½ mi) south of Broadbeach Currumbin, QLD 4223 | Map It
- Phone: 07/5534–1266; 1300/886511
- Cost: general admission A$49; ropes course A$10; Wildnight Adventure $89
- Hours: Daily 8–5, grounds close 5:30 for Wildnight Adventure.
- Website: www.cws.org.au
- Location: Broadbeach
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
I've just reserved a limo for four of us in January from the airport to the Four Seasons. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more