- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
From the Gold Coast, Mountain Coach Company buses pick passengers up from the major bus depots, most of the major hotels, and from Coolangatta Airport for O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat in the Gold Coast Hinterland (A$69 round-trip day tour or individual transfer, departing at 8 am).
Australian Day Tours/JPT leaves the Brisbane Transit Centre daily at 8:30, or 8:45 am for Gold Coast passengers, and travels via Tamborine Mountain to the Hinterland. Day tours stop at O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, returning to the Gold Coast at 4:30, Brisbane at 6. The cost—A$93 round-trip—is for a full-day tour, but Retreat guests can use it for transfers. Two-day Hinterland tours, with accommodation, dinner, and breakfast at O'Reilly's included, are A$399.The company also runs nightly tours and guided night walks through local Hinterland caves which, when the sun is down, light up spectacularly with populations of glowworms. Departing from the Gold Coast at 5.30 pm, the tours run for four hours with dinner included in the $A147 ticket price.
Hinterland accommodations, including O'Reilly's, Binna Burra Mountain Retreat, and Spicers Peak Lodge, shuttle guests to and from the coast. Various smaller coach tour companies, including winery tour operator Cork 'n Fork, also visit Hinterland destinations.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe