Great Keppel Island
Great Keppel Island Review
Although Great Keppel is large, at 8 km (5 mi) by 11 km (7 mi), it lies 40 km (25 mi) from the Great Barrier Reef, which makes for a long trip from the mainland. There's lots to do, with walking trails, 17 stunning safe swimming beaches, excellent coral gardens in many sheltered coves, and dozens of beach and water-sports activities available. A refurbished underwater observatory at nearby Middle Island lets you stay dry while viewing the local marine life from six meters below the ocean surface. A confiscated Taiwanese fishing boat has been deliberately sunk alongside the observatory to shelter tropical fish. An abundance of bushwalking tracks allows visitors to explore the island's interior and access secluded beaches.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
DH and I will be heading to Australia in 6 short days. Read more
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
As some of you may have noticed there's a "minor" cricket series coming up between Australia and England in Dec '13/Jan '14, which both DH and i would love to see some of; he would also like to do some Read more
· News & Features
Come January, American Airlines will introduce brand-new premium Airbus A321 planes on its transcontinental ... Read more
Tucked into the tony Gold Coast neighborhood, the 247-room Thompson Chicago opened its doors in early... Read more
Travel somewhere new each year, and you just might find yourself along the way.... Read more