Getting Here and Around
Lady Musgrave Barrier Reef Cruises is the only carrier servicing Lady Musgrave Island. It primarily operates as a day-cruise service, but also ferries campers to the Island. Boats depart daily at 8:30 am from the Town of 1770 marina on Captain Cook Drive, arriving around 90 minutes later (board from 8 am). Baggage is limited to about a cubic foot per person, as space on board is tight. You'll be expected to load most of your gear the evening prior to sailing; on the island, use wheelbarrows to haul it to the campground from the island drop-off point, 250 meters (275 yards) away. If you're carrying a dinghy for getting around the island, it costs an extra A$150 round-trip (hire dinghies from Burnett Boat Hire (0414/721883). Campers must have a DERM permit at time of boarding (A$5.45 per person, per night). If you're camping, you get substantial discounts on boat transfers April through June.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe