Getting Here and Around
Lady Elliot is the only coral cay with its own airstrip. Small aircraft generally make the flight from Hervey Bay (40 minutes) or Bundaberg (30 minutes), though pickups can be arranged from as far south in Queensland as Coolangatta, on the Gold Coast (2 hours). You can day-trip to Lady Elliot with Seair Pacific, too. The cost includes scenic flight, buffet lunch, reef walking, glass-bottom boat ride, snorkeling, and island tour.
Tours require a minimum of 2 passengers and use planes that can carry up to 12. Strict luggage limits for both hand and checked baggage allow 10 kilograms (22 pounds) per person (for A$20 extra, divers can take an extra 10 kg in dive gear). If you exceed this limit, you can repack at the ticket-counter scale or wave goodbye to the plane.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations