At the resort dive shop you can rent equipment and arrange dive courses to more than a dozen excellent sites, including Lighthouse Bommie, home to a 40-strong manta ray colony, and the Blow Hole and Hiro's Cave. Refresher pool dives, a shore snorkeling trip, and guided reef, nature, and historical walks are free for resort guests. Off-boat snorkeling and glass-bottom boat rides are A$30. Boat dives and night dives start at A$50, but all guests are entitled to one complimentary combined tour during their stay. Open-water certification courses cost A$525; "Discover Scuba Diving" short courses are A$150; and referral courses, available to those who've completed the classroom and pool portions of a certification course prior to arrival, are A$400. Diving here is weather-dependent, so plan accordingly if you intend doing a dive course over multiple days. Four-night packages, including seven dives, flights (from Hervey Bay, Fraser coast), Bundaberg, the Gold and Sunshine coasts, or Brisbane), guest activities, meals, reef tax, and accommodation, start at A$1,281; all-inclusive seven-night packages, with 15 dives, start at A$1,671. Other special deals are available. There is a one-time A$15 environmental management charge for all nonpackage guests.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe