Boat and Ferry Travel
Freedom Fast Cats ferries transfer guests to the island from Pier 1 at Rosslyn Bay Harbour, near Yeppoon (across the bay from the marina). Departures are mid-morning (check schedules) daily, with an additional departure Friday afternoon. Return trips back to the mainland Tuesday to Sunday early- to mid-afternoon, and an additional departure Friday morning. The cost is A$49 per person, round-trip. Depending on the time of your flight arrival, you may need to stay overnight in Rockhampton or Yeppoon before and after your island stay.
Keppel Bay Marina also runs day cruises to secluded coves and beaches: choose a short glass-bottom-boat coral-viewing and fish-feeding cruise for A$23, a scenic winter cruise for A$69, or two full-day cruises: one includes a 1½-hour sail and optional snorkeling, kayaking, fishing, and coral-viewing, on Grace, plus refreshments and a buffet lunch, including local prawns, for A$115 per person, including reef tax and gear; a similar cruise with boom-netting is A$130.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's