- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
More than half of Lindeman Island—which at 2,000 acres is one of the largest in the Whitsunday group—is national park, with 20 km (12 mi) of walking trails that wind through tropical growth and up hills for fantastic views. Bird-watching is excellent here, though the blue tiger butterflies you might spot in Butterfly Valley are, arguably, even more impressive. With its natural and sporting attractions, the island draws lots of families. It lies 40 km (25 mi) northeast of Mackay, near the southern entrance to the Whitsunday Passage.
Lindeman Island at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Whitsunday Islands
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's