- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Blue Fin, a high-speed catamaran, leaves Mackay Marina daily at 2, arriving at Brampton at 3:15. Fare is A$65 one-way, including coach transfer from Mackay Airport, departing at 1:30. Return boats leave Brampton marina at 3:45, connecting with the coach at 5 for a 5:15 pm arrival at Mackay Airport.
Virgin Blue and Qantas connect all Australian capitals with Mackay daily. Jetstar has flights from Brisbane; Tiger Airways from Melbourne. Some Virgin Blue flights tie in with Brampton boat transfers. Australasian Jet flies to Brampton Island from Mackay and Hamilton Island airports, taking 20-30 minutes, a minimum of two passengers, and a maximum 15 kg (33 lbs) of baggage each (plus 5 kg [11 lbs] hand luggage), preferably soft-sided. Fare is A$85 one-way from Mackay via scheduled, twice-daily transfer (departing from the mainland at 11:30 am and 5 pm, Brampton at 9 am and 2 pm); upward of A$175 per person, one-way, from Hamilton Island via charter flight.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $3679 & up -- Australia: Outback Adventure w/Tours & Air Qantas Vacations
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Devils of Tasmania — $10,445 IExplore