- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Blue Fin, a high-speed catamaran, leaves Mackay Marina daily at 2, arriving at Brampton at 3:15. Fare is A$65 one-way, including coach transfer from Mackay Airport, departing at 1:30. Return boats leave Brampton marina at 3:45, connecting with the coach at 5 for a 5:15 pm arrival at Mackay Airport.
Virgin Blue and Qantas connect all Australian capitals with Mackay daily. Jetstar has flights from Brisbane; Tiger Airways from Melbourne. Some Virgin Blue flights tie in with Brampton boat transfers. Australasian Jet flies to Brampton Island from Mackay and Hamilton Island airports, taking 20–30 minutes, a minimum of two passengers, and a maximum 15 kg (33 lbs) of baggage each (plus 5 kg [11 lbs] hand luggage), preferably soft-sided. Fare is A$85 one-way from Mackay via scheduled, twice-daily transfer (departing from the mainland at 11:30 am and 5 pm, Brampton at 9 am and 2 pm); upward of A$175 per person, one-way, from Hamilton Island via charter flight.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe