- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The Whitsunday Coast Airport near Proserpine, 36 km (23 mi) southeast of Airlie Beach, has direct daily flights to and from Brisbane and less frequent services to Sydney, on Virgin Blue and Jetstar. Whitsunday Shuttle Service and Whitsunday Transit buses connect the airport and Proserpine Railway Station to Airlie Beach and Shute Harbour, with services timed to meet all flights and passenger trains (drive time 30-40 minutes; A$11-A$15 one-way, bookings required). Greyhound Australia and Oz Experience offer daily services into Airlie Beach from Sydney, Brisbane, and towns between, and from Cairns. Queensland Rail operates around six northbound and six southbound trains weekly that stop at Proserpine Railway Station, about 25 km (15 mi) from Airlie Beach.
Koala Adventures is popular with the younger backpacker set, and runs three-day sailing trips around the Whitsundays on an 83-foot Whitbread round-world maxi racing yacht for A$469 or a luxury catamaran for A$349, including local charges, all meals, snorkeling gear, stinger suits, and two nights' accommodation on South Molle Island. Whitsunday Sailing Adventures runs several sailing, scuba, and snorkeling trips around the islands and Great Barrier Reef on a dozen-plus owner-operated vessels, including modern sailing cats and tall ships. Choose from dive and snorkeling trips, performance sailing, eco-friendly excursions, and two- and three-day sailing cruises with all meals, bedding, and snorkeling gear provided.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations