- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Whitsunday Islands
The Whitsundays are a group of 74 islands situated within 161 km (100 mi) of each other and around 50 km (31 mi) from Shute Harbour, the principal mainland departure point, though some boats depart from Airlie Beach marina nearby. Discovered in 1770 by Captain James Cook of the HMS Endeavour—though in fact not on Whitsunday itself, thanks to a time-zone change oversight on Cook's part—the Whitsundays are a favorite sailing destination and an easy-access base from which to explore the midsection of the Great Barrier Reef. Some of the islands' beaches—notably, famous Whitehaven Beach—are picture-postcard gorgeous, though vegetation on the islands themselves looks more scrubby than tropical. In fact, the entire region is subtropical, making for moderate air and water temperatures year-round. Most of the Whitsunday Islands are national parks, and, although you'll spot few animals on them, birds are plentiful—more than 150 species make their homes here. Only a few of the islands have resorts; others serve as destinations for day trips, beach time, and bushwalks, or simply as backdrop at scenic moorings.
Camping is popular on the myriad islands of the Whitsunday group. To pitch a tent on islands lying within national parks you need a A$5.15 per-person, per-night permit from the Queensland Environmental Protection Authority (EPA). The Whitsunday Information Centre, on the Bruce Highway at Proserpine, is open weekdays 9-5, Saturday 9-3, Sunday 10-3.
The Whitsunday Islands at a Glance
Places To Explore
- Airlie Beach Hotel
- BreakFree Long Island Resort
- Daydream Island Resort and Spa
- Hamilton Island Beach Club
- Hamilton Island Holiday Homes
- Hamilton Island Palm Bungalows
- Hamilton Island Reef View Hotel
Elsewhere in Great Barrier Reef
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's