- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fitzroy Island Resort
At a Glance
- numerous on-island facilities
- lively bar with regular live entertainment
- easy access to and from Cairns
- day-trippers swarm the island and compete for space and facilities
- budget rooms can get stuffy and musty
- pricey food
Check Rates from our Partners
Fitzroy Island Resort Review
Budget-conscious families and backpackers are the main guests in the one- and two-bedroom ocean suites, beach cabins, resort studio, and four-bedroom penthouse units on this reef-fringed tropical island. Rooms have a Balinese feel, with tropical ceiling fans, but have modern bathrooms, luxury appointments and LCD TVs. Pricier accommodations have balconies from which to admire the ocean or garden, and, in all but the beach cabins and studios, full kitchen and laundry facilities. The resort's owners also manage the backpacker village, which has 11 twin-share rooms for divers and budget travelers, and communal kitchen and leisure facilities. There's a beach-front pool, a noisy adjacent games area, and live entertainment most weekends. There's also a resort pool, a day spa, a cinema screening three movies daily, and play rooms for the kids.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
Day 5 - Bye-bye Hong Kong, hello OZ!
After checking in at the airport, we had about an hour or so to spare so after negotiating passports and security without too many problems, [DH is always one of those Read more
Some photos from this year's weirdly wonderful Sculptures by the Sea at Cottesloe Beach, Western Australia.
The exhibit runs through March Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots ... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more