- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lizard Island Resort
At a Glance
- superb diving and fishing
- quality food and wine
- use of nonmotorized watercraft and dinghies
- critters sometimes invade the rooms
- lighting inadequate for reading
- no cell-phone coverage
Check Rates from our Partners
Lizard Island Resort Review
Beloved by honeymooners, divers, and well-heeled travelers, this outer Great Barrier Reef resort ticks all the high-end tropical-island vacation boxes: luxurious beachfront accommodation, fine food and wine, and world-class diving and fishing. The beachside rooms, suites, and sumptuous villas have sail-shaded decks and views of the turquoise bay. Simple but comfortable rooms reflect the beachy environs with restful oceanic blue, sand, and white color palettes, polished wood floors and blinds, tropical ceiling fans (as well as air-conditioning), and private, furnished verandas. The Departure Lounge, overlooking the pool, incorporates Azure day spa, a compact gym, a small boutique, and a guest library and lounge. Meals, served with fine wines and Champagne (included in the rate), change daily. For an extra fee, the chef will design a seven-course degustation dinner with matched wines to be served to you on a secluded beach. The food is high-quality, given the remote location, and the wine list is city-standard; between meals, the well stocked resort bar serves cocktails, imported and local beers, spirits, liqueurs, tropical juices, and some excellent Australian and New Zealand wines. But most folk come for the environs, and it is these—and the diving, snorkeling, or deep-sea fishing excursions you take offshore—that will probably prove the highlights of your stay.
- Address: Lizard Island, Great Barrier Reef, QLD | Map It
- Phone: 03/9426–7550 bookings; 07/4043–1999 resort; 1300/863–248 toll-free in Australia
- Website: www.lizardisland.com.au
- Location: Lizard Island
- 39 villas, 1 pavilion.
- Rate includes all meals, all-inclusive.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Ok, quick review. Read more
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
Hi, I am planning a trip to Australia end of May for about 12 days. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more