- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
James Cook Museum
James Cook Museum Review
Cooktown, in its heyday, was a gold-mining port town, with 64 pubs lining the 3-km-long (2-mile-long) main street; a significant slice of this colorful history is preserved here at the National Trust–run James Cook Museum. The former convent houses relics of the Palmer gold-mining and pastoral eras, including a Chinese joss house, along with Aboriginal artifacts, canoes, and mementos of Cook's voyage—notably, the anchor and one of six cannons jettisoned when the HMS Endeavour ran aground. The surprisingly nice shop sells books and souvenirs. It's recommended that you allow at least an hour to pore over the exhibits.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
I've just reserved a limo for four of us in January from the airport to the Four Seasons. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more