- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Thala Beach Lodge
At a Glance
- eco-friendly ethos
- multiday packages
- interesting free activities
- no in-room Internet acess
- limited food available between meals
- 20-minute drive to Port Douglas
Check Rates from our Partners
Thala Beach Lodge Review
Set on 145 acres of private beach, coconut groves, and forest, this eco-certified nature lodge is about low-key luxury. Guesthouses, linked by meandering, stone-lined paths, are comfy refuges with polished-wood floors and restful bush and ocean views. The open-sided, circular restaurant, bar, lounge, and reading room have stupendous vistas that stretch to the Barrier Reef islands and Daintree rain forest. Sunset cocktails and buffet breakfasts here are accompanied by colorful parrots in the canopy and a cacophony of birdcalls. There are two small pools (one split-level, with waterfalls and grottoes), bush-walking trails, a serene wellness center, and areas for secluded sunbathing. Eco-friendly activities include wildlife, bird-watching, coconut plantation walks, Aboriginal performances, turtle-spotting from sea kayaks, and on-site yoga sessions. There's free Wi-Fi in the restaurant and lobby, where you'll also find a tour desk and a gallery/jewelry outlet. There's even a helipad, mostly used by visiting VIPs and heads of state.
- Address: Private Beach Rd., (off Bruce Hwy., 38½ km [24 miles] north of Cairns) Oak Beach, Port Douglas, QLD 4877
- Phone: 07/4098–5700; 866/998–4252 toll-free from U.S.
- Website: www.thalabeach.com.au
- Location: Port Douglas
- 45 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast, no meals, all-inclusive.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Ok, quick review. Read more
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
Okay, so I suck at packing.And I mess it up both ways: either too much or not enough. I never get it right. We have 5 weeks OZ/NZ (!) with 3 days in Hong Kong on the way. Destinations include Sydney, Uluru, Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail... Read more
Pack light and still look great on your next camping trip with these 10 low-maintenance beauty products.... Read more
Castles, lakeside resorts, bang-for-your-buck Hawaii finds, and dazzling hotel gardens—it's... Read more