- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Thala Beach Lodge
At a Glance
- eco-friendly ethos
- multiday packages
- interesting free activities
- no in-room Internet acess
- limited food available between meals
- 20-minute drive to Port Douglas
Check Rates from our Partners
Thala Beach Lodge Review
Set on 145 acres of private beach, coconut groves, and forest, this eco-certified nature lodge is about low-key luxury. Guesthouses, linked by meandering, stone-lined paths, are comfy refuges with polished-wood floors and restful bush and ocean views. The open-sided, circular restaurant, bar, lounge, and reading room have stupendous vistas that stretch to the Barrier Reef islands and Daintree rain forest. Sunset cocktails and buffet breakfasts here are accompanied by colorful parrots in the canopy and a cacophony of birdcalls. There are two small pools (one split-level, with waterfalls and grottoes), bush-walking trails, a serene wellness center, and areas for secluded sunbathing. Eco-friendly activities include wildlife, bird-watching, coconut plantation walks, Aboriginal performances, turtle-spotting from sea kayaks, and on-site yoga sessions. There's free Wi-Fi in the restaurant and lobby, where you'll also find a tour desk and a gallery/jewelry outlet. There's even a helipad, mostly used by visiting VIPs and heads of state.
- Address: Private Beach Rd., (off Bruce Hwy., 38½ km [24 miles] north of Cairns) Oak Beach, Port Douglas, QLD 4877
- Phone: 07/4098–5700; 866/998–4252 toll-free from U.S.
- Website: www.thalabeach.com.au
- Location: Port Douglas
- 45 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast, no meals, all-inclusive.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
Day 5 - Bye-bye Hong Kong, hello OZ!
After checking in at the airport, we had about an hour or so to spare so after negotiating passports and security without too many problems, [DH is always one of those Read more
After spending 2 - 3 weeks in Australia in October, we have one extra week before we fly home to Canada. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more