- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Half a dozen marked walking trails traverse Fitzroy Island National Park; they range from half-hour rain-forest strolls to steep, challenging three-hour hikes. Take drinking water, wear sturdy closed shoes, insect repellent, sunscreen, and a hat, and watch for snakes (and in estuaries and mangroves, crocs). For maps and detailed information, visit the Queensland Government Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) Web site (www.derm.qld.gov.au).
Fitzroy Island Dive & Activities Center. Day-trippers, resort guests, divers, and campers can rent kayaks or paddle-skis for A$25 an hour, as well as stinger suits, diving equipment, and snorkeling gear from the island's Dive and Activities Center. Here, you can also book everything from guided dive and snorkeling trips to windsurfing, sailing, and AquaJet excursions, sea-kayaking explorations, and glass-bottom boat tours. Fitzroy Island Resort, off Cairns, QLD, 4870. 07/4044–6700. www.fitzroyisland.com.
Sunlover Reef Cruises (Departs from Reef Fleet Terminal, 1 Spence St., Cairns, QLD, 4870. 07/4050–1333; 1800/810–512 Toll-free in Aust. www.sunlover.com.au. A$69, round-trip.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's