- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Half a dozen marked walking trails traverse Fitzroy Island National Park; they range from half-hour rain-forest strolls to steep, challenging three-hour hikes. Take drinking water, wear sturdy closed shoes, insect repellent, sunscreen, and a hat, and watch for snakes (and in estuaries and mangroves, crocs). For maps and detailed information, visit the Queensland Government Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) Web site (www.derm.qld.gov.au).
Cairns Dive Adventures (07/5641–0112. www.cairnsdiveadventures.com.)
Fitzroy Island Dive and Activities Center. Day-trippers, resort guests, divers, and campers can rent paddle-skis, stinger suits, and diving and snorkeling gear from the resort-run Dive and Activities Center at the southern end of Fitzroy Island. Here, you can also book everything from guided dive and snorkeling trips to windsurfing, sailing, and AquaJet excursions, sea-kayaking tours, glass-bottom boat tours, and day trips on the resort's luxury 52-foot catamaran, Eye Spy. 07/4044–6700. www.fitzroyisland.com.
Sunlover Reef Cruises (Reef Fleet Terminal, Tenancy 3, 1 Spence St., Cairns, QLD, 4870. 07/4050–1333 or 1800/810512. www.sunlover.com.au.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe