- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A member of the Family Islands, this 2,397-acre island is divided by a hilly spine that runs its entire length. The eastern side consists mostly of national park, with dense rain forest and secluded beaches accessible only by boat. Beautiful paths have been created through the rain forest, where you might be lucky enough to glimpse a Ulysses butterfly—a beautiful blue variety with a wingspan that can reach 6 inches, Dunk is 4½ km (2 mi) from Mission Beach on the mainland, making it a pleasant spot for day-trippers, though now that the resort has closed, there are few on-island facilities; be sure to bring your own food, water, and sunscreen.
Elsewhere in North Coast Islands
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's