- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The 40-minute Fantasea Cruising Magnetic runs several departures daily, between 5:20 am weekdays (7:10 weekends) and 6:05 pm, from the mainland to Nelly Bay Ferry Terminal on Magnetic Island, 10 km (6 mi) offshore, with the last return ferries departing the island at 6:55 pm. Round-trip fares are A$169 for a vehicle with up to six people, A$35 for a motorbike and one rider, A$27 for a person without a vehicle (bicycles free). Sealink (Sunferries) has 25-minute catamaran service daily between Townsville and Nelly Bay on Magnetic Island. Bus and island transfers meet the ferry during daylight hours. There are up to 18 ferry departures daily from Townsville between 5:30 am (6:30 Sunday) and 10:30 pm (11:30 pm Friday and Saturday), returning between 6:20 am (7:10 Sunday) and 11 pm (12 midnight Friday and Saturday); a round-trip ticket costs A$29.
Magnetic Island Sunbus. Get an overview of Magnetic Island riding the Magnetic Island Sunbus. Single-fare tickets or unlimited-travel day and weekly passes are available from the driver. The bus departs at regular intervals between 5:55 am and 9:45 pm (Sun. to Wed.), 10:25 (Thu.) and midnight (Fri. and Sat.), linking Picnic Point, Nelly Bay, Arcadia, and Horseshoe Bay. Hail it between designated stops simply by standing at the roadside and raising your hand.
The tiny Mini Moke, a soft-top convertible version of the Minor Mini car, is an ideal means by which to explore Magnetic Island. MI Wheels, next to the IGA supermarket near Nelly Bay Ferry Terminal, rents out Mokes, including fuel; driver's license required.
Motorbikes or scooters are a cheap and easy way to get around. Road Runner Scooter Hire rents trail bikes for A$60 per day, scooters from A$35, and dual-seat scooters from A$50 (9 am-5 pm). The cost includes helmets and unlimited mileage; you top up the gas yourself.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations