- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The island has 24 km (15 mi) of hiking trails, most of which are relatively easy. The popular Forts Walk leads to World War II gun emplacements overlooking Horseshoe and Florence bays. At a leisurely pace it takes 45 minutes each way from the Horseshoe-Radical Bay Road. Look up en route, and you may spot a sleepy koala.
The best views are on the 5-km (3-mi) Nelly Bay to Arcadia Walk. Look out for shell middens created over thousands of years by the island's Aboriginal owners, the Wulgurukaba, or "Canoe People."
Swimming and snorkeling are other popular activities, but from November to May stingers are a hazard: swim at Picnic and Horseshoe bays, which have stinger nets, and wear a protective suit. At other times, Alma Bay and Nelly Bay, as well as Picnic, Florence, Radical, Horseshoe, and Balding bays, are all suitable for swimming. Horseshoe has daily lifeguards; Alma and Picnic bays are patrolled over weekends and school holidays from September to May.
Geoffrey Bay has a well-touristed unofficial snorkel trail. Other good snorkeling spots include Nelly Bay, Alma Bay, and the northern ends of Florence and Arthur bays. Near the northeastern corner of the island, Radical Bay has a small, idyllic beach surrounded by tree-covered rock outcrops. Horseshoe Bay has the largest beach, with boat rentals.
Horseshoe Bay Ranch. With Horseshoe Bay Ranch, you can take a two-hour guided bush-and-beach ride with the chance to take the horses swimming (A$100), daily at 9 and 3. Half-day rides are also offered daily from 9-12 (A$130). Wear a swimsuit, long pants, socks, and closed shoes and BYO drinking water and sunscreen; safety helmets are provided. 38 Gifford St., Horseshoe Bay, Magnetic Island, QLD, 4819. 07/4778-5109. www.horseshoebayranch.com.au.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations