Great Barrier Reef Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the Great Barrier Reef
Cultural Immersion: The Kuku Yalanji have lived in the area stretching roughly from Port Douglas to Cookdown for thousands of years. A highlight of visiting northern Queensland is experiencing this unique landscape from their perspective. Try to get on a multiday tour to see some of the region's most spiritual places.
Reef Explorations: There are thousands of spectacular dive sites scattered along the coral spine of the Great Barrier Reef. Some draw hundreds of divers and snorkelers a day with clouds of fish and coral formations.
Wildlife Watching: Flora and fauna on the islands themselves can be fascinating: rain forests, hills and rocky areas, and postcard-perfect beaches might be home to everything from turtles, birds, and lizards to echidnas and bandicoots. On the mainland, Daintree National Park is home to the endangered southern cassouary.Updated: 07-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's