Great Barrier Reef Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the Great Barrier Reef
Cultural Immersion: The Kuku Yalanji have lived in the area stretching roughly from Port Douglas to Cookdown for thousands of years. A highlight of visiting northern Queensland is experiencing this unique landscape from their perspective. Try to get on a multiday tour to see some of the region's most spiritual places.
Reef Explorations: There are thousands of spectacular dive sites scattered along the coral spine of the Great Barrier Reef. Some draw hundreds of divers and snorkelers a day with clouds of fish and coral formations.
Wildlife Watching: Flora and fauna on the islands themselves can be fascinating: rain forests, hills and rocky areas, and postcard-perfect beaches might be home to everything from turtles, birds, and lizards to echidnas and bandicoots. On the mainland, Daintree National Park is home to the endangered southern cassouary.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe