- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cairns Airport is a major international gateway, and a connection point for flights to other parts of Queensland, including Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Hamilton Island, and the Northern Territory, as well as all Australian capital cities.
Airport Connections runs coaches between the airport and town—an 8-km (5-mi) trip that takes about 10 minutes and costs A$12. The company also services Cairns's northern beaches, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Silky Oaks Lodge (near Mossman), and Cape Tribulation (A$18 to upward of A$50), as well as Mission Beach to the south. Port Douglas-based Express Chauffeured Coaches and Limousines provides bus services from the airport to Palm Cove and Port Douglas, north of Cairns (A$18-A$34 by coach, A$75-A$165 in a limousine). Private taxis make these trips as well (A$18-A$22 to Cairns).
Airlines based at Cairns Airport include Air New Zealand, Cathay Pacific, Continental Micronesia, Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue, and Skytrans.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $3679 & up -- Australia: Outback Adventure w/Tours & Air Qantas Vacations
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River — $9,995 IExplore