Fraser Island Feature
Camping on Fraser Island
You can pitch a tent anywhere you don't see a "no camping" sign; there are four main public campgrounds—Central Station, Dundubara, and two at Waddy Point—that require you to book in advance. These campgrounds have fenced sites (advised if you have kids under 14), toilet blocks, drinking water, hot showers (some coin-operated), gas grills, phones, and other amenities. There are also smaller designated camping areas along Fraser Island's Great Walk, and a number of established beach campsites, all run by Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service. They have toilet blocks, picnic tables, and walking trails. Most lack drinking water, so bring plenty with you. Because the entire island is a World Heritage site, permits for camping (A$5 per person, per night) are required, and there's a maximum stay of 22 nights.
Dilli Village Campground. The University of the Sunshine Coast runs Dilli Village Campground, just south of Eurong, where a 2 bedroom cabin for up to five is A$100, a 4-person bunkhouse is A$40, and camping is A$10 per night. 07/4127-9130. www.dillivillage.com.au.
Cathedrals on Fraser - Cathedrals Beach Resort. The island's only official private campground, formerly called Frasers at Cathedral Beach, 10 km (6 mi) north of Eurong, costs A$39-A$49 per night for a non-powered and powered camping site in the peak summer season. Cabins with one, two and three bedrooms are from A$180 to A$220 nightly in the high season. The campsite is fenced and ideal for families. Booking well ahead is essential. 07/4127-9177 or 1800/444-234. www.frasers-cathedral-beach.qld.big4.com.au.
The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service manages the island, and maintains ranger bases at Dundubara, Eurong, and Waddy Point.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $3679 & up -- Australia: Outback Adventure w/Tours & Air Qantas Vacations
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River — $9,995 IExplore