New South Wales, with the country's capital city Canberra and the A.C.T. carved out in an area half the size of Rhode Island, covers the southeast corner of the country. Despite this being Australia's most populous state, the rich variety of landscapes is its biggest selling point. The Blue Mountains, a World Heritage site, lie approximately 100 km (60 mi) to the west of Sydney; the Hunter Valley is about 160 km (100 mi) or two hours north of Sydney. The North Coast is exactly where its name suggests, while Lord Howe Island is offshore, 700 km (435 mi) northeast of Sydney. Canberra is 288 km (180 mi) southwest of Sydney.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations