Zig Zag Railway
Zig Zag Railway Review
You'll be wiping the soot from your face after a ride on the huff-and-puff vintage steam engine, but that's part of the fun of this cliff-hugging 16-km (10-mi) round-trip experience on the Zig Zag Railway. Built in 1869, this was the main line across the Blue Mountains until 1910. The track is laid on the cliffs in a giant "Z," and the train climbs the steep incline by chugging back and forth along switchback sections of the track—hence its name. The steam engine operates on weekends, public holidays, and Wednesday, and weekdays during school holidays. A vintage self-propelled diesel-powered railcar is used at other times.During selected Saturdays in winter (June to September) there's a special two-hour Wizard's Express ride for lovers of Harry Potter books.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
· News & Features
With its rich history, intoxicating culture, and gorgeous mix of architecture, Cambodia serves up sights ... Read more
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more