- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sydney Olympic Park
Sydney Olympic Park Review
The center of the 2000 Olympic and Paralympic Games lies 14 km (8½ miles) west of the city center. Sprawling across 1,900 acres on the shores of Homebush Bay, the site is a series of majestic stadiums, arenas, and accommodation complexes. Among the park's sports facilities are an aquatic center, archery range, tennis center, and the centerpiece: the 85,000-seat ANZ Olympic Stadium. Since the conclusion of the 2000 Games it has been used for major sporting events like the 2003 Rugby World Cup and concerts for international acts including The Rolling Stone. The Explore interactive stadium tour, costing A$28.50 per person, takes you behind the scenes to sit in the media room and have your photo taken on the winners' dais. The new Gantry Tour (A$49) also includes a trip to the gantry (where the sound equipment and spotlights are kept, 140 feet above the stadium).
Don't miss the adjacent Bicentennial Park, made up of 247 acres of swamps, lakes, and parks dotted with picnic grounds and bike trials. The area, a former quarry, was developed to commemorate Australia's Bicentennial celebrations in 1988. There's a visitor center outlining the history of the park, as well as a café (Lillies on the Park). The most scenic and relaxing way to get to Sydney Olympic Park is to take the RiverCat from Circular Quay to Homebush Bay. You can also take a train from Central Station, Sydney, to Olympic Park.
- Address: 1 Herb Elliot Ave., Homebush Bay, Sydney, NSW 2127 | Map It
- Phone: 02/9714–7888; 02/8765–2300
- Hours: Daily during daylight hrs.
- Website: www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au; www.anzstadium.com.au
- Location: Greater Sydney
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Ok, quick review. Read more
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
We are planning for our honeymoon during Christmas / new year time mostly from 23rd Dec till Jan 3rd 2015 in Australia. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more