- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Quarantine Station Review
From the 1830s onward, ship passengers who arrived with contagious diseases were isolated on this outpost in the shadow of North Head until pronounced free of illness. You can access the station as part of a guided tour, and now stay overnight in the newly opened four-star hotel and cottage accommodation known as Q Station. There are day tours and three different evening ghost tours (the station reputedly has its fair share of specters) that depart from the visitor center at the Quarantine Station. Tours are led by rangers from NSW National Parks and involve a fair bit of walking, so good shoes are a must. Reservations are essential.
- Address: North Head, North Head Scenic Dr., Manly, Sydney, NSW 2095 | Map It
- Phone: 02/9466–1500
- Cost: Day tour A$35, ghost tours A$34–A$44
- Hours: The visitor center and museum open daily10 am (with varying closing hours, check Web site); the Quarantine Story tour takes place on weekends only (A$35), call ahead for times. Adult ghost tours Wed., Thurs., and weekends 8 pm; family ghost tour Fri. and Sat. at 6:30 pm.
- Website: www.qstation.com.au
- Location: Sydney
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
Hi, Im going to be in Australia mid-February. Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more