Sydney Sights

Advertisement

Fort Denison

Fort Denison Review

For a brief time in the early days of the colony, convicts who committed petty offenses were kept on this harbor island, where they existed on such a meager diet that the island was named Pinchgut. Fortification of the island began in 1841, but was abandoned when cash ran out. It was finally completed in 1857, when fears of Russian expansion in the Pacific spurred the government on. Today the firing of the fort's cannon doesn't signal imminent invasion, but merely the hour—one o'clock. New South Wales National Parks and Wildlife Service runs half-hour tours at Fort Denison. Purchase tickets from either the NSW National Parks office (1300/072757) or at Captain Cook Cruises' booth at Jetty 6, Circular Quay; the ferries depart for the island from 10:30 am to 4 pm daily from Jetty 6. Those arriving on the island by water taxi or other boat transport, have the option to buy tour-only tickets, on a stand-by basis, for A$15.50. The island also has a restaurant, open daily from 10:30 to 3:30, (02/9358–1999)

Updated: 01-15-2014

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of Fort Denison

Map of



Travel Deals
Forums