Swimming in Sydney
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sydney has many heated Olympic-size swimming pools, some of which go beyond the basic requirements of a workout. Many Aussies, however, prefer to do their "laps" in ocean pools at Bondi and Manly.
Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool. Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool isn't just any heated Olympic-size saltwater pool. Its stunning outdoor location overlooking the ships at Garden Island, its radical glass-and-steel design, and its chic terrace café above Woolloomooloo Bay make it an attraction in itself. Admission is A$5.70, and it's open September–April, daily 6 am–7 pm. Mrs. Macquarie's Rd., The Domain, Sydney, NSW, 2000. 02/9358–6686. www.abcpool.org.
Cook and Phillip Park Aquatic and Fitness Centre. Cook and Phillip Park Aquatic and Fitness Centre includes wave, hydrotherapy, children's, and Olympic-size pools in a stunning high-tech complex on the eastern edge of the city center near St. Mary's Cathedral. There's also a complete fitness center and classes. Admission is A$6.20 to swim and A$17 for the gym, which includes pool entry. Open weekdays 6 am–10 pm, weekends 7 am–8 pm. College St., City Center, Sydney, NSW, 2000. 02/9326–0444. www.cookandphillip.org.au.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe