Swimming in Sydney
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sydney has many heated Olympic-size swimming pools, some of which go beyond the basic requirements of a workout. Many Aussies, however, prefer to do their "laps" in ocean pools at Bondi and Manly.
Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool. Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool isn't just any heated Olympic-size saltwater pool. Its stunning outdoor location overlooking the ships at Garden Island, its radical glass-and-steel design, and its chic terrace café above Woolloomooloo Bay make it an attraction in itself. Admission is A$5.70, and it's open September-April, daily 6 am-7 pm. Mrs. Macquarie's Rd., The Domain, Sydney, NSW, 2000. 02/9358-6686. www.abcpool.org.
Cook and Phillip Park Aquatic and Fitness Centre. Cook and Phillip Park Aquatic and Fitness Centre includes wave, hydrotherapy, children's, and Olympic-size pools in a stunning high-tech complex on the eastern edge of the city center near St. Mary's Cathedral. There's also a complete fitness center and classes. Admission is A$6.20 to swim and A$17 for the gym, which includes pool entry. Open weekdays 6 am-10 pm, weekends 7 am-8 pm. College St., City Center, Sydney, NSW, 2000. 02/9326-0444. www.cookandphillip.org.au.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations