Newcastle Kayak Tours
Newcastle Kayak Tours Review
As the world's largest export coal port, Newcastle has a genuine working harbor. It's fascinating to watch the huge freighters as they line up beyond the harbor in the open sea, come through the heads, fill up with coal, and depart. Since the steelworks closed down in 1999, the harbor has opened up to visitors and is lined with smart apartments, hotels, and restaurants. For a close-up look at the giant ships and smaller boats, hop into a kayak for a guided excursion with Newcastle Kayak Tours. The two-hour (A$45) blue tour is the easiest and most popular—it begins at Dog Beach (so named because dogs are allowed), skirts past Queen's Wharf, and then meanders up Throsby Creek and past Newcastle Marina. Limited to 12 paddlers, the tour takes in all the highlights, and you may even be fortunate enough to spot dolphins. Longer and more challenging tours are also available.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more