Getting Here & Around
Just 10 km (6 miles) long and with a width varying from 300 meters (1,000 feet) to 2 km (1 mile), crescent-shape Lord Howe Island is compact and easy to navigate. The lagoon hugs the western shore of the island. The town, known as Old Settlement, is midway along the lagoon, and most accommodations are within an easy cycle ride or walk from there. The airport is slightly south of the town, and the two volcanic peaks—Mt. Lidgbird and Mt. Gower—dominate the island's southeast extremity. Good beaches are spread along the lagoon shore and on the eastern coast just a kilometer or two from town.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's