- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- lots of history
- doesn't offer the same facilities as larger hotels
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Kurrajong Review
If you want to immerse yourself in Canberra's politcial history and be within walking distance of Parliament House, the Hotel Kurrajong is the place; this boutique hotel built in 1925–26 and was designed in the early Commonwealth style (influenced by both Frank Lloyd Wright and Water Burley Griffin). It first housed the army of administrative staff transferred from Melbourne to the nation's new capital. It later became the hotel of choice for Australian Labor Party (ALP) politicans (the Liberals tended to say at the Hotel Canberra, now the Hyatt Hotel) and was the home-away-from-home for prime minister (1945–49) Ben Chifley who preferred it to the Lodge, and after whom the restaurant is named. This four-star hotel has warmth and charm and a busy café scene. Rooms are contemporary with king-size beds, flat-screen TVs, free Foxtel movies, and free broadband Intenet. The hotel is owned by the Australian International Hotel School, whose students study in an adjacent building.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
I've just reserved a limo for four of us in January from the airport to the Four Seasons. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more