Tisa's Barefoot Bar
Tisa's Barefoot Bar Review
This ultra-casual beach bar, restaurant, and B&B is something of an institution in American Samoa.
Opened by Tisa in 1989, it was washed away in Cyclone Val in 1991 but rebuilt not long after. The restaurant, open till 7 pm weekdays and trading later on weekends, specializes in locally grown fruits, vegetables, and fresh-caught seafood served in decorative palm fronds. There's no set menu—the chef cooks whatever is fresh that day. Host Tisa and bartender "Candyman" are warm and welcoming and have created a cool, local hangout that feels more than a little Gilligan's Island. An umu (food cooked underground) is served every Wednesday night; the beers are cold all the time. It's at Alega Beach, about 4 miles from Pago Pago, and is easily reached by local bus.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1799 & up -- Fiji: 5-Night Upscale Getaway w/Air & Tours Travelscene
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River — $9,995 IExplore
In April, 2013, we traveled to Tahiti where we stayed on the islands of Moorea and Tahiti prior to boarding an Oceania cruise that sailed through French Polynesia and the Society Islands. Read more
My other half and I recently spent a lovely four day weekend in Margaret River, thanks to the rare occurrence of a rotating Friday off and a Monday public holiday.
For those wanting the wordless version, Read more
For some time I've been haunting these boards and butting into other people's threads, so i thought that it was high time that I had a go at working out my own itinerary for you all to take pot shots at. Read more
· News & Features
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more