American Samoa Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Make Underwater Friends. Pristine Ofu Beach's water, home to more than 300 species of fish, are deep enough for excellent diving.
Dive in a Park. The National Park of American Samoa is the only American park south of the equator; hike in its rainforest before snorkeling and diving in its coral reefs.
Visit a Volcanic Island. This U.S. territory has five and, though there haven't been eruptions in 100 years, they're still worth a peek.
Take in a Cricket Match. The Samoan version of cricket—played here and on neighboring Samoa—employs the same bat and ball, but with different and often varying rules.
Eat Very Local. Eating is a beloved pastime on both Samoa and American Samoa; try fire-roasted coconut cream and taro leaves, breadfruit, and cooked green bananas.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe